Tuesday, February 24, 2009

84-0, "Let them eat cake..." (Part III)

Finally in Part III of this epic blog I get to the game I intended to talk about. The Asnerie-sur-Seine Molosses are an across the town team in Paris, that was not expected to put up much of a fight, and they lived up to that.

From the get-go, the defense dominated the game returning a fumble and interception for scores in the first half, as well as forcing two other turnovers. Offensive we ran the ball all over them and even our 5th string running back scored a 60-yard TD. We have no reserve offensive lineman so I was forced to remain in the game for the duration.

The final was an 84-0 drubbing. We are now 3-0, but this was the first team performance of the year. Too bad it was not much of a nail-bitter for Victoria and my parents to watch, but a win is a win.

Cedric, Jeff, Victoria, and I all headed into the city after the game with my folks and grabbed a couple drinks at a touristy, over-priced bar near Norte Dame. All in all a good night.

Even though we stayed out late Victoria and I crawled out of bed Sunday morning to meet my parents infront of Sacre Coeur to spend the day exploring Montmarte.

I never get tired of walking around the Basilica, and the surrounding streets, although if one more starving artist stops me to as me if I want my likeness recorded by them on paper, I might break their fingers.

We stopped at Place du Tertre where my mother and Victoria did a bit of window-shopping. With its many artists setting up their easels each day for the tourists, the Place du Tertre is a reminder of the time when Montmartre was the mecca of modern art. At the beginning of the 20th century, many penniless painters including Picasso and Utrillo were living there.

After a banana and Nutella-filled crepe, we found 'Le mur des je t'aime' or 'the wall of I Love You's.' Written 1000 times in 300 different languages is the phrase 'I Love You,' along with this inscription.

"In a world marked by violence and dominated by individualism, walls, like frontiers, are usually made to divide and to separate people and to protect them from one another. On the contrary, The Wall is a link, a place of reconciliation, a mirror which reflects an image of love and peace."

We stopped to rest our weary feet, and quench a bit of thirst at the O'Sullivan's neighboring the Moulin Rouge. Then it was off to find dinner near the Bastille. The restaurant was another Rick Steve's selection and near the Bastille. Can't miss, right? Wrong.

We were the only customers in the entire restaurant, that should be a sign right? And I was pretty sure that our waitress was hammered. We kept hearing her drop and break things behind the bar. My lamb shank was cold on the inside, probably reheated. The only thing that saved the meal was my company and the quietly chuckling we did at our wasted server. I hope the poor woman did hurt herself further once we left. I guess Rick Steve's isn't perfect either.

No comments:

Post a Comment